Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Today I Love Tenacity



December 5, 2022

It's that time of year again. 

Christmas is calling, we are all fighting various stages of a plethora of illnesses, and there are
So.
Many.
Distractions.

So many tasks and commitments and choices for how we ought to fill our time. It's difficult to get all that we think we need to do accomplished in the span of one day, and frankly it's very tempting to just not even try. 

But...I have this one student who today reminded me of the power of tenacity. This student battles distractions, too, but he has a goal this year. It's been tough, the distractions have been many, and a few lower than desirable grades have been getting in his way. He came to me today asking about an assignment that was due weeks ago. Rather than have him do the work specific to that assignment, that no longer had purpose for him, I asked him a few questions to help him do the same work (color-coding a locker sign to help memorize a verse) but for a more relevant and more recent verse. He came back after school with this and explained what each color stood for. He was proud of himself and said so much to me. That made me even more proud of him and for him. 

I've known this student for two and a half years. Not trying was a big part of his story when I first met him. It amazes me how far he has come in changing his "it doesn't matter" outlook to one of dedication and commitment. Today I love the tenacity this young man is developing. It will help him along the path to reaching his goals, both now in middle school, and more importantly, as he becomes a man upon whom others will be able to depend. 

Where do you need some tenacity, friends? Where do you need some good old fashioned "sticktoitiveness"? 
Who will be depending on you?
Here's hoping my student inspires you to keep after whatever goals you've set for yourself. 
❤️
#tenacity

No comments:

Post a Comment