Monday, March 11, 2013

Today I Love Getting Cheered Up...Slice of Life 11 of 31

     Today was a "not for public consumption" day.  An "I am a dairy product past my expiration date..do not OPEN me!" day.  I kept my "Please...enter only for emergencies.  Teacher trying to regain sanity! (If she ever had any to begin with!)" sign on the door most of the day.  I knew if I just kept my head down, if I didn't make eye contact with anyone any more than necessary, and plowed through the day, I could just "fake it 'til I made it".  (That never works, by the way, when you have concerned people checking on you all day...drat those folks who care so much!) :)  So...I was grumpier than I intended to be with my students.  And then I just felt worse.  And then we had a fire drill...in the rain.  And then I didn't quite get done what I needed to.  And then...and then...and then...
 
     Sigh...
 
     And then...my phone rang!  I didn't recognize the number, but being in a grumpy and yet somehow adventurous mood, I answered it.  Enter lovely former student whose mere voice, "Hi Mrs. Eaton!", just made me melt.  She was calling to see if she could use me as a reference on a job application.  She's one of those students who wouldn't even need to ask, and she knows that, but she's also one of those students who does things the right way.  I told her abso-posi-lutely she could use me as a reference and by the way how were things going?  Things are well, some medical issues from last year are cleared up, and it seems as if life is good.
 
     Sigh...
 
    And then...my dear friend from down the hall stopped by and obliged me by snapping the above pic of my phone.  (It's awfully hard to take a picture of your own phone!)  As she helped me out, she noticed the James Taylor tunes I was listening to and we started trading favorite J.T. songs.  She likes You Are My Only One, and recalled singing it to her newborn baby daughter back in the day.  I shared that I am more of a Sweet Baby James girl myself, having seen J.T. in concert when I was pregnant with my own sweet baby girl!  Well that thought made me squirrel off to find out when and where he was/is touring and GUESS WHAT!? He IS on tour... NEXT MONTH!  We laughed and giggled at the idea of the four of us up here in the Middle School jetting off to Hawaii for a two night J. T. gig!  What fun would that be!?  And again, it appeared...that life is good. 
 
     Sigh...
 
     And life is good.  Why is that on some days your "everything" hurts and it is so very hard to remember that very fact?  Life IS good!  Do your part, friends...remind someone who may need it that Life IS good!  And don't take no for an answer when they tell you it's not.  Play them some J. T., make them smile, give them a hug, make them take their "go away" sign off their door and make them hang up a "Get in here, I need a HUG" sign!  Ooh wait!  I know!  Make them join the Slice of Life Challenge and when they try to think of something to write about, they'll remember all these cool things about their day and then...they'll be cheered up!
 
     Sigh... 
 
     Today I just love getting cheered up!  Now to go home and apologize to The Man for the past two days...
 
  

11 comments:

  1. And the thing I love today is reading your post...well every day I love that. I enjoy your positive outlook...even when things are not going well...or you feel like retreating to your own room...and not be bothered because you just out of sorts. I loved the 'I am a dairy product, don't' open me'...wow that says it all! You express yourself with phrases that just brings a vision...or feeling...or even a smell. Thanks so much!!! Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie! We've used that dairy product anaology a lot over the years...and NOT just about me! Some days it just fits! Thank you so much for the kind words!
      Trish

      Delete
  2. One woman's JT in Hawaii is another woman's Bon Jovi in Chicago. This is what makes us remember that life is god, even when we have a forgetful moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have those days! Next time I have one I'm going to read this post and I'll be reminded of two things: 1) I'm not the only one who has "not for public consumption" days, and 2) that Life IS good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thanks Mardie! So glad it's not just me & that folks were so patient with me today!

      Delete
  4. Good 'ol James Taylor. Love him. He is like the comfort food of music. Thanks for the reminder to look for the positive. ~ Theresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comfort food of music...I love that term! Perfect description of him! Everyone who stopped by this pm automatically started singing along!
      Thanks!
      Trish

      Delete
  5. Trish: God is so good. I read this a day late on the very day I needed it. I had one of those "Wo is me" days and I have been doing the Eyore impersonation. Started off my day at 3:30 this morning because insomnia is my friend. I got to work to discover I had lost my cell phone and couldn't find it anywhere. I walked to the parking lot twice to find the stupid thing with no luck. Walked by to my office and deactivated my phone. The mail delivery didn't come to the office and every attorney in the office seemed to think I was responsible for that. Then I had one of those family disagreements with my son. But a good friend gave me a smile, told me the day would get better and it did. I found my phone on the third trip to the car, 3 days worth of mail arrived at 3:30 and all is well with my son. Today I love friends, James Taylor and your daily challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww Jenny! So glad this brightened your day! Now go pay it forward and make someone else's day! Yes, He is very good indeed! We can definitely agree on that!
      Hugs!
      Trish

      Delete
  6. Tricia,
    I love your intro: "Today was a "not for public consumption" day. An "I am a dairy product past my expiration date..do not OPEN me!" day. I kept my "Please...enter only for emergencies. Teacher trying to regain sanity! (If she ever had any to begin with!)" sign on the door most of the day." It just drew me right into the rest of the post.

    I'm glad you kept your eyes open to the day. Isn't it funny how things begin to turn around. It's always the little things that really matter: a phone call from an old students, some time with a good friend, a little conversation.

    I'm glad your day turned around for you because "LIFE IS GOOD."

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete