Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Today I love a new idea...Slice of Life 20 of 31

I stole an idea today, dressed it in my own designs, and ran with it!  In one of the writing prompt books I got for Christmas, it says to find a patient person to go out to dinner with you.  While eating and pretending to listen to your partner, do a little eavesdropping of the table to your right.  Grab a swatch or two of conversation, then turn your attention to the table to the left and do the same.  Take both swatches of conversation, mix and enjoy. 
       Well, since I don't have a restaurant at my disposal in the classroom, I took my 6th graders on a Conversation Scavenger Hunt.  We strolled with our Writer's Notebooks down the hall just listening.  We hadn't gotten far when we heard, "He's afraid of me!" and "It's a bear." and "Whoops! You caught me texting!" and "Wooooo hoooo!  I'm numer 4!" 
       I had seven or eight bits and pieces of conversation in my own notebook before we reached the other side of the building.  When we got back to the room I gave them a few minutes to mix & match their swatches and put together some conversations.  The kids had a great time with this and we had fun hearing each other's "combined" conversations at the end of class.  Can't wait to try some more new ideas out tomorrow! 

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really fun activity!! I bet the kids had a great time with it. Jackie http://familytrove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fun Jackie! The kids even said, "We should do this again!" They may have just wanted out of the classroom, but I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like fun. I wonder what I would hear walking through the middle school hallways. It might be scary...or really funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. I think I'm going to have to seriously try this. Sounds like so much fun! I could see free verse poetry in the mix too with all the conversational snippets! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Listening in on conversations is always a good way to capture a line or two. I guess we should be careful the next time we are in Panera. **wink wink**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe we should bring our WNBs and listen more carefully! :) either way sounds like fun! Sp break?

      Delete